New Asset Studies
Axens’ proven methodology for project development, backed by world-class refining and petrochemical expertise and proprietary tools, provides a comprehensive, customized offer adapted to clients’ specific requirements.
At the onset of a project, investors are faced with a multitude of options that need sorting and clarifying. Axens’ pre-feasibility studies bring a global and coherent approach to the evaluation process. These studies comprise :
- analyzing petroleum product and crude markets
- reviewing product specification developments
- assessing local environmental regulation compliance
- developing different viable process configuration options suited to the available feedstock and the targeted product slate
- evaluating auxiliary units, utilities and off-site facilities
- making preliminary estimates of capital and operating expenditure
- ranking the different project options using the preliminary financial analysis
Finally, the pre-feasibility study will deliver all the necessary information for selecting the best investment option.
Feasibility studies (technical and economic)
Following the pre-feasibility study, the main process units and the related assets of the selected scheme have to be developed in more detail. A feasibility study helps to define the different elements of the project that will satisfy financial institutions’ requirements for project evaluation. These studies comprise :
- preliminary design work and defining the
- storage and blending facilities, off-site facilities and infrastructure, including marine facilities, seawater intake and outfall, and freshwater and oil pipelines
- utility generation and distribution
- hydrogen production, waste water and flue gas treatment facilities, and sulfur recovery units
- preliminary identification of environmental impacts and safety risks
- cost investment estimates based on Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE International) Class 4 standards
- financial and risk analyses
- project finance
Conceptual engineering studies
The Performance Programs (P2) conceptual engineering study methodology offers a holistic approach that covers the entire project development phases and aims to bridge the gap between preliminary studies and basic engineering work. These studies comprise :
- developing technical information on the basis of the conclusions from the previous study. The technical information is sourced from process licensors.
- integrating refinery support units by developing all the utilities, off-site facilities and infrastructure
- preparing engineering general documentation as the starting points for the next phases of the project: basic engineering and engineering, procurement and construction (EPC)
- pre-EIAs and pre-HAs
- cost investment estimates based on AACE Class 3 standards
- detailed financial analyses and project risk assessments
- developing the project execution plan
- determining the staffing requirements for project execution and asset operation
A conceptual engineering study provides P2 clients with all the documents required to issue the bids for the licensed technologies and the EPC contractor. This saves significant time and money on project execution.
Performance Programs Brochure