APC - Crude
APC uses a model-based predictive control technology that drives the process towards the desired targets through the manipulation of several variables simultaneously while observing all process constraints. APC has a proven track record in delivering business objectives: reducing energy costs, increasing yields and improving operability.
As a process licensor and catalyst supplier, Axens is well positioned to offer models and first-hand knowledge of the best strategies for APC projects.
Our Control Strategy for Crude Distillation consists of:
- Estimation of feed True Boiling Point (TBP) curve, using heat and mass balances
- Side stream cutpoint calculation, with estimated TBP
- Product quality estimation, using cutpoint and internal reflux
- Product draws, pumparounds (P.A.), furnace and top temperature adjustment, to maximize higher value, on-specification products, even during crude switch.
- P.A. adjustment, for adequate heat removal, maximum heat recovery and desired product separation, subject to loading constraints.
- Feed maximization, subject to furnace and tower constraints (flooding,…), even during crude switch
- Pressure minimization