IsopureTM, a process developed by Axens, produces very high purity isobutene. This process uses reactive distillation combined with hydroisomerization of 1-butene to 2-butenes. This concept eliminates the equilibrium limitations of conventional processes that convert 1-butene to 2-butene.
The product quality corresponds to polymer grade. The main advantages of this process can be summarized as follows:
- Mild operating conditions
- Carbon steel equipment
- No environmental problems
- No need for other processes such as MTBE and dehydrogenation
- No need for chemicals such as sulfuric acid used in sulfuric acid extraction units
- No need for methanol as used in MTBE cracking processes