Axens announces the launch of the Jetanol™ brand for its Alcohol-to-Jet Technology, with a project pipeline already approaching 3 million tons (1 billion Gallons) Per Year of Sustainable Aviation Fuel
Axens Alcohol-to-Jet Jetanol™ technologyFind out more
Starting from any type of low-carbon alcohol, Jetanol™ is the single-supplier, shovel-ready, end-to-end technology and catalyst solution that forms the bridge between the aviation industry’s commitment to a low-carbon future and sustainable feedstock providers.
The Jetanol™ project pipeline also includes feasibility studies and conceptual engineering efforts with a cumulative production capacity of over 1.5 million tons (500 Million Gallons) per year of SAF, for a total capacity approaching 3 million tons (1 billion Gallons) per year of SAF.
This recent wave of projects is triggered by the net zero commitments by the aviation industry and consumer demand, in addition to national cleaner energy initiatives including the RED-III, Inflation Reduction Act, and New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO) programs in the EU, US, and Japan, respectively.
Axens is licensing Jetanol™ globally, with some region-specific partnerships and licensing approaches to support the sustainable aviation fuels industry. In all regions, Axens is supporting projects with a robust network of its own engineers, operations experts, worldwide catalyst manufacturing plants and tailor-made modular solutions, ensuring reliable project execution and a commitment for long-term unit support.
In the US, the Strategic ETJ Alliance formed in 2021 between Axens and Gevo Inc. offers industrial partners a complete value proposition from “farm-to-flight” via Gevo’s Net-Zero Integration Technology, and Verity Tracking (a carbon tracking solution),carbon tracking and renewable systems integration approach coupled with Axens Jetanol™ technology.
Axens is THE commercially proven technology to convert alcohols into hydrocarbons. They already know and understand the catalysts and operability of the conversion technologies. When combined with our knowledge of integration, bioprocessing, renewable energy, and agricultural systems, Net-Zero footprint fuels are enabled.
Other recent projects include:
- The achievement by Axens of the Guaranteed Performance of its First Ethano-to-Ehylene Atol® Plant with Sumitomo Chemical in Japan
- The selection of Axens’ Jetanol™ technology by Idemitsu for its first SAF project in Japan. Junzo Yamamoto, Executive Officer Manufacturing & Technology of Idemitsu, said: “Axens is the only supplier able to provide technology, catalysts and associated services including domestic technical support. We are thrilled to collaborate with Axens and we are looking forward for a long term partnership!”
These technologies were developed and de-risked to reach maturity over the course of the last 10 to 30+ years. We are honored by the selection of our Jetanol™ technology by mature industry players, applying robust technical screening processes, and who are ready to build at scale – now. The trust they place in us demonstrates that they value our long-term commitment to develop new, advanced alcohol dehydration technologies and combine them with decades of light olefins oligomerization experience (over 100 commercial-scale units).”
About Axens SAF technologies
Among the seven pathways currently certified under the ASTM D-7566 specification for synthetic kerosene to be blended into Jet A1 pool, Axens provides mature technologies for the three main pathways:
- Vegan® is a flexible solution to produce SAF but also renewable diesel through the hydrotreatment of a wide range of lipids (HVO). SAF can also be produced by co-processing those lipids into existing refining assets.
- BioTfueL® (Gasification + Fischer-Tropsch) technology unlocks SAF and renewable fuels production from lignocellulosic biomass via a thermochemical pathway.
- The Alcohol-to-Jet Jetanol™ technology is a fully-proven, end-to-end, SAF production technology starting from any type of low-carbon alcohol.
Axens group provides a complete range of solutions for the conversion of oil and biomass to cleaner fuels, the production and purification of major petrochemical intermediates, the chemical recycling of plastics, all natural gas treatment and conversion options along with water treatment and carbon capture. The offer includes technologies, equipment, furnaces, modular units, catalysts, adsorbents and related services. Axens is ideally positioned to cover the entire value chain, from feasibility study to unit start-up and follow-up throughout the entire unit life cycle. This unique position ensures the highest level of performance with a reduced environmental footprint. Axens global offer is based on highly trained human resources, modern production facilities and an extended global network for industrial, technical supports & commercial services. Axens is an IFP Group company.
Press contact: firstname.lastname@example.org