PETRONAS Selects Axens Technologies for Malaysia’s RAPID Project
Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS), Malaysia’s national oil and gas company has selected Axens as a technology provider for PETRONAS’ Refinery and Petrochemicals Integrated Development (RAPID) project located in Pengerang, Johor, Malaysia.
RAPID is part of PETRONAS’ Pengerang Integrated Complex (PIC) development, which includes six major associated facilities namely the Pengerang Co-generation Plant, Re-gasification Terminal 2, Air Separation Unit, Raw Water Supply Project, Liquid Bulk Terminal as well as central and shared Utilities and Facilities. Developed within a 6,242 acres site in Pengerang, Johor, PIC forms part of the Johor State’s Pengerang Integrated Petroleum Complex (PIPC), which is under Malaysia’s Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) to establish new engines of growth for Malaysia; whilst meeting future energy requirement and strengthening PETRONAS’ position as a key player in the Asian chemicals market, focusing on differentiated and specialty chemicals. RAPID is estimated to cost US$16 billion while the associated facilities will involve an investment of about US$11 billion. PIC is poised for its refinery start-up by early 2019.
Axens was initially selected in October 2010 for a Detailed Feasibility Study, after which their technologies were selected following an open bid in January 2012 on the basis of the best NPV (Net Present Value), as well as proven long term operating experiences supported by the technology and catalyst’s specific features; hence providing additional benefits to the project. The following technologies from Axens was selected for the RAPID project:
- Naphtha Hydrotreating (NHT), this process purifies naphtha removing dienes, olefins compounds, sulfur and nitrogen species with a feed capacity of 21,000 BPSD;
- OctanizingTM a continuous catalytic regenerative (CCR) reforming process for maximizing the production of reformate from heavy hydrotreated naphtha , with a feed capacity of this unit 14,000 BPSD;
- Prime-KTMa catalytic process achieving hydrotreatment of a kerosene cut, with smoke point improvement and deep desulfurization, its feed capacity is 30,000 BPSD;
- R2RTMa residue fluidized catalytic cracking (RFCC) process including a double regenerator which enable to crack residue feedstock or vacuum gas-oil into lighter hydrocarbons. The process also includes a propylene recovery section (PRU Section). The capacity of the RFCC unit is 140,000 BPSD of feedstock in two trains;
- Prime G+TMcatalytic process aiming at desulphurizing FCC gasoline while minimizing the octane loss. It includes a selective hydrogenation reactor/splitter and hydrodesulphurization reactor/stabilizer. The feed capacity of this unit is 75,000 BPSD.
PETRONAS, petronas.com.my, is a Fortune Global 500® company wholly-owned by the Government of Malaysia. Together with its subsidiaries and associated companies, PETRONAS is a fully integrated entity with global operations in a wide spectrum of the oil and gas value-chain with strategic interests in more than 50 countries. Committed to ensuring business sustainability, PETRONAS strives to responsibly manage natural resources in a way that contributes to the well-being of the people and nations where it operates.
Axens, www.axens.net, is an international provider of advanced technologies, catalysts, adsorbents and services, with a global reputation for basic engineering design excellence. The main scope of Axens' business is focused on the conversion of oil, coal, natural gas and biomass to clean fuels as well as production and purification of major petrochemical intermediates. Axens’ global offer is based on: highly trained human resources, modern production facilities and extensive commercial feedback from plants using our processes and catalysts all around the world.